On Saturday, April 20th, 2013 was a great day at UNLV for the Festival Of Communities venue. We had such a great time and were blessed by the overwhelming positive response we received from the other organizations, vendors and attendees for this event. We received extraordinary favor which is a testimony to the goodness of God in the face of many obstacles. The Lord spoke to me that this would be a year of testimonies & here are just a few from this event.
- We fought hard in prayer and petition to get included in the event. We applied in January to have Modern Day Psalmists to be a part of the entertainment. We were rejected until February 27. Not only did we secure a spot among the 200 performances, but we also were able to get a table through our anti-child trafficking organization, Y-Factor (Youth Fighting Against Child Trafficking Outreach).
- Two weeks prior to the event, Rosemarie and I visited the UNLV campus to pray for the event. Based on the location of the entertainment stage and all of the foot traffic from last year, we identified a section that we deemed to be advantageous. It was shaded and was close enough to where we expected the food vendors to be. When we arrived at our designated table station (D-5), we were blessed to see that we were given the spot we prayed for.
- Our daughter, Malaysia Hilton, designs clothing. We encouraged her to join us & showcase some of the shorts she made. She was afraid, but over the months agreed to bring six samples (just to see if anyone would be interested). The response was overwhelming. In two hours, she sold three shorts. She also generated a list of females interested in getting updates so that when she launches her online store, they could order. She even made appointments to meet with some of the girls to serve as a personal fashion consultant.
- We were invited several future events and forums coming up in the fall by other UNLV campus groups.
- We got to pray for a few people. On one occasion, a woman returned to our table. She lost her camera and thought she may have left it on our table. Rosemarie advised her that she hadn’t seen it, but said she would pray that she would find it. The woman scurried off in an attitude of disbelief. After fifteen minutes, she returned to our table to thank Rosemarie for praying, because the camera was returned to the lost & found in the student center.
- Our Modern Day Psalmist performers, The Kingdom Colors,(Laban Macauley (Drew) and David Rice), blessed the audience with their original music. There were several people coming up to our table to give them compliments. We realized that many people who were complimenting them, were those who heard them singing through the positioned speakers throughout the main campus field. The guys blessed Y-Factor not only in preparing some of the material, but also singing at the booth. Several months ago, I got David hooked on BJ Putnam’s music. He bought the music when it came out & there is a clip of them singing, “Beautiful Love” upon request.
- There are many more testimonies, but I want to conclude with this one. It was a year ago, April 21st, that Rosemarie and I met at the Festival Communities to discuss financially contributing to her Y-Factor organization. By divine leading, I walking into a pivotal life-transformation encounter. Four months and four days later, we got married. Four months after that, Rosemarie assisted me in putting on the Modern Day Psalmist Nite event at A Shot Of Java, during Glendale Glitters. And four months after that, our desire to celebrate the anniversary of our meeting would be fulfilled by participating in the Festival Of Communities at UNLV. Now can it really be that coincidental?
I direct your attention to John 10:22:37, which took place at a different festival many years ago in Jerusalem. The conflict arose because of the claims of Jesus Christ. “If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly” [v.24]. They didn’t want to hear. They were wanting a reason to harm. Jesus did tell them plainly, but their unbelief kept them from acknowledging the Truth [v.25]. Through the truth, He would reveal the nature of their unbelief, and conclude:
Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father.But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.” [John 10:37-38]